Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Our History

PlaceholderOn 26 March 1941, a Station Hospital was established at Fort Eustis with Col. William Borden as its first Commanding Officer. 

Declared surplus property by the War Department in 1944, the hospital was transferred to the Navy Department to be utilized as a Naval hospital. Commanded by Capt. Hardy Vernon Hughes, MC, USN, in 1944, he was directed to convert and rebuild a Station Hospital. On 1 February 1946, the hospital was closed and reactivated by the U.S. Army. Lt. Col. Herbert Knudton was appointed Post Surgeon and Hospital Commander on 1 September 1948. The name was changed to the U.S. Army Hospital, Fort Eustis. It was dedicated on 23 March 1961 to the memory of Brig. Gen. Robert McDonald, Army Medical Corps, a pioneer in the establishment of intra-theater medical transfer and evacuation. The core facility was constructed in 1964; the outpatient clinic section was added in 1976, followed by construction of the Orthopedic and Women's Health Clinics in 1993, the Business Office in 1998, and the Administration Building in 1999. The hospital transitioned from a U.S. Army hospital to a U.S. Army military treatment facility in 2005. 

In 2007, a Warrior Transition Unit was established to support and transition Wounded Warriors evacuated from theater, and from across Fort Eustis, Fort Story, and Fort Lee. The Warrior Transition Company provides personal support to wounded Soldiers who require at least six months of rehabilitative care and complex medical management. Each Warrior in Transition works with a Triad of Care - primary care manager (normally a physician), nurse case manager, and squad leader - who coordinates their care with other clinical and non-clinical professionals. Warriors in Transition have one mission — to heal. 

Today, major services include Adult and Pediatric Primary Care, Specialty Services and Ambulatory Surgical Center for the 6,771 Active Duty Soldiers, 12,219 dependents, and 22,601 military retirees and their Family members. Located in the Tidewater Multi-Service Market Area, MCAHC partners with USAF Hospital Langley, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, and the Veterans Administration Hospital, Hampton, VA, to providing care for beneficiaries who reside on the Peninsula. Personnel provide care in facilities on Fort Eustis and Fort Story, and support annual training site support at Camp Dawson, WV.